For the history: SLO Credit Union has been serving the Central Coast for over 68 years. With a long history of strength and stability, credit unions have weathered every financial storm since the Great Depression without costing taxpayers a dime.
For the membership: At SLO Credit Union, we don’t have customers — we have members. Once you join, you become a member-owner of a local financial institution that offers most of the same products and services you find at large banks, plus extraordinary customer service.
For the savings: Credit Unions are not-for-profit cooperatives that exist only to serve the financial needs of their members-owners. Earnings are returned to members in the form of lower loan rates, higher savings rates, and lower fees.
For the service: Because credit unions are not-for-profit cooperatives, members receive exceptional personalized service, as well as expanding services, such as additional branches and ATMs.
For the loyalty: Only members can be on the Board of Directors, who have the power to direct policy. Only members can replace directors through a one-member, one-vote election structure.
For the safety & security: The National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUSIF) has had the strongest equity-to-insured risk ratio over the last decade of all federal deposit insurance funds. Not one penny of any insured savings has ever been lost by a member of a federally insured Credit Union.
For the location: SLO Credit Union is a truly local institution. All loan and account decisions are made right within San Luis Obispo.
Who Can Join?
Membership in the SLO Credit Union is limited to the immediate family or household of any individual employed by the following:
- California State Employees Association members of chapters in the counties of SLO, Santa Barbara, Monterey, and San Benito
- Federal Government civilian employees who work in SLO County or have headquarters in the city of Santa Maria
- Employees, current and retired, from the Union Oil Company and its subsidiaries, who work or have headquarters in the company’s northern division of California
- Individuals who live, regularly work, or attend school in San Luis Obispo County
- Family Members of any of the above
Family includes: spouse, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild including step or adoptive relationships
How to Join?
To join, just stop in and complete a Member Application, open a SLO Savings account with a $5.00 minimum deposit, and pay a one-time membership fee. Please bring:
- Your unexpired driver’s license or other official picture identification (passport, state-issued ID card, or military ID card)
- Proof of eligibility, such as a payroll stub or employee ID
- Cash or a check for at least $10 payable to you or SLO Credit Union